Saturday, June 6, 2009

Buddha and Business






Of Buddha Beach, Blogging & Business Cards

I accidentally posted this - the subject of my next blog - and am loath to remove it. I will edit the post later and get to a pet topic of mine How to make business cards and eschew attachment and desire.

posting later...

So I ask God through the beautiful voice of Denise van Outen Tell me on a Sunday please. Andrew Lloyd Webber is a genius and the web makes his prodigious talent easily available (and the incredible writing skills of Tim Rice).

Business cards - how does one produce a business card - in all seriousness - offer it to another human being and expect to be taken seriously.

'Hey, it's not me here I am on the Card!' That's me inanga, that is my name, see, that is the Hand of God there (see from the painting) that I took from Buddha Beach, Oriental Bay, Wellington. 'And that is my address there, that's my job, and yeah, the hand in the picture is that of God.' 'Oh, my actual hand is holding the card, it's really me here.' I point to myself and dissolve in self-ridicule.

The dilemma is - in order to help sell my art, and keep me eating in 3-d I have to sell art and writing. I would just rather blog them away for free but that is not that realistic. The best business card I was ever given (and depicted above) was my Lonely Planet author's card. I still remember getting it. I altered the one above to hide my true identity.

Well the thing I loved about this card was the painting by Val Tellini of the Lonely Planet staff in Melbourne, Australia. I didn't seem at all embarrassed when I handed this business card to another human being. And like my right hand in a gesture of respect, it was never proferred lightly. Why? Because I valued the image - in this case Kathmandu, Nepal - greatly. An artist had worked long to create the perfect background on which to drop one's then life circumstances.

I did a card for Miles from Nowhere and that result is above also. He is forever telling me that 'It is all good, it is all good'. He is in no way being tempted by the Big Carrot, Ohakune that bears the title 'Salvation'. As co-founder of www.hogproductions.com, and from being a student of the great Cecil Beaton, he had the last say on the image to be used. He bilocated from Nowhere to Somewhere Here to take the image. I could mess up its content but not the image - that is always the photographer's proof. I didn't mind doing this Business Card for Miles from Nowhere because it preserved his anonymity. After all, he is from Somewhere - we all have to be Somewhere at the point where our toes meet the earth. Therefore Somewhere is definitely Nowhere. Down on the Poutini Coast of the South Island they have Notown and if you look at the map it is definitely Somewhere. Miles from Nowhere would probably tell me that 'multidimensional supraholographically synchrosimilar unfoldments through A - O cycles like us' don't need Business Cards.

And what wwere the Buddhas thinking when as the two Taras they lay sunbathing on Oriental Bay Beach - certainly not about Business Cards! But then again, where did I get the idea for my Business Card with the Hand of God on it. It was sent in a flash to be by the Triple Moon-goddess Ngame from herself represented in her staff of office in Buddha Beach. So much for saying that you can't be in two places at once. What was Buddha thinking?:

All that we are is the result of what we have thought: it is founded on our thoughts, it is made up of our thoughts.

By oneself evil is done; by oneself one suffers; by oneself evil is left undone; by oneself one is purified. Purity and impurity belong to oneself; no one can purify another.

I thought it imprudent to wake them as I applied real sand carefully around their beach towels.

If anyone out There Somewhere or Nowhere can tell me whether Business Card usage violates the spirit of the Dharma please respond to this Blog. As I said I prefer to let the sleeping Buddhas lie...

inanga

No comments:

Post a Comment